THE MISSION presents: THE SUB-MISSION, an alternative installation project space dedicated to the development of artists living and working in Chicago. Located below the main gallery, THE SUB-MISSION is a natural progression toward fulfilling our mission statement. Specifically, THE SUB-MISSION was created to showcase local artists, foster the investigation of new ideas and artistic processes, and facilitate an exchange between artists and the artistic community.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Saturday, August 23, 2014
To be considered, please submit an application in one PDF or Word document to email@example.com. THE SUB-MISSION is accepting electronic applications only.
Applications MUST include:
– Current CV
– Artist statement
– A one-page summary of your proposed installation project including materials, installation timeline, and layout
– No more than five images, sketches, or other visual representations of your proposed project
– Contact information including phone number and e-mail address
All submissions are eligible for the January 2015 exhibition slot.
Projects that cannot be exhibition-ready by January 2, 2015 cannot be considered.
Only one proposal per artist. No phone calls please.
THE MISSION is pleased to welcome the 2015 SUB-MISSION selection committee:
– Adam Brooks, Chicago-based artist, curator, and educator; Professor of Fine Art at Columbia College Chicago; co-founder of Industry of the Ordinary
– Robyn Farrell, Curatorial Assistant for Contemporary Art at The Art Institute of Chicago
– Scott Hunter, Chicago-based collector and independent curator; Associate Professor of Psychiatry & Pediatrics, University of Chicago
– Thea Liberty Nichols, Chicago-based curator and writerPrevious selection committee members: Lisa Dorin, Michelle Grabner, Tempestt Hazel, Megha Ralapati, John Sparagana, Lauren Weinberg, Robin Dluzen, Allison Grant, Jason Lazarus and Duncan MacKenzie
THE MISSION promotes art of the Americas by organizing a diverse program of provocative solo exhibitions and dynamic group shows. THE MISSION takes a multidisciplinary approach to exploring cultural, social and historical contexts by representing artists that shape, inform, and challenge ideas and perceptions of contemporary art. THE MISSION is dedicated to supporting innovation and experimentation and strives to initiate an ongoing dialogue among artists.
THE MISSION | Chicago
1431 W. Chicago Ave.
Chicago, IL 60642
Stories you care about, once a month, right to your inbox.
ÆQAI (pronounced ‘I’ as in ‘bite ‘ and ‘qai ‘ as in ‘sKY’ ) is a Cincinnati-based e-journal for critical thinking, review and reflective prose on contemporary visual art. The word ‘ÆQAI’ was selected as a mispelling from a reprint of Livy’s text for the ‘Aequi.’